45 Pine – Construction Pics

Total Home Down-to-the-Studs “Green” Remodel

Total Home Down-to-the-Studs “Green” Remodel

When we took our first look at this house we were blown away by the possibilities. The property had an amazing setting, with sweeping views of the hills, but also had not been remodeled or updated in many, many years. We had our hands full with orange shag carpeting from the 70’s, (it was groovy, man, but it had to go…) plywood cabinets, a deck that was precariously unsafe and needed to be replaced, and wallpaper on almost every wall. We also only had 2 and a half months to do a total remodel, down to the studs, in every room. We had to move in by the end of December or we would be homeless. And that would not have been groovy at all. We also made our own concrete counter tops using guidelines from Cheng Design in Berkeley. While this took a few weeks from start to finish, it ultimately saved us almost $10,000 when compared with comparable counter tops. We took very precise measurements and built the templates and forms in our garage. We then proceeded to forget to flip them over, even though we were warned repeatedly about this, and had to start over. Then we rented a concrete mixer locally, and poured the counter tops ourselves. Once “cured,” the largest piece, with steel rebar to reinforce the narrow parts in front and back of the sink, weighed almost 700 lbs and took 8 people to move from the garage to the kitchen. It was a major production, but ultimately well worth it. We made an effort to do everything we could in a sustainable...

Construction- “Green” Remodel

kitchen (and master bath downstairs) When we bought the home it had orange shag carpeting throughout. In order to replace the upper deck, which our inspector found had been rotted and precariously unsupported on one side, we had to take out all the floors in the upstairs kitchen and living room, as well as the ceilings in the master bedroom and bathroom, so that we could put in long enough joists to support the whole deck. You can see some pictures of the construction by clicking on this link. When we took out the ceilings in the bathroom we also found an old beehive that was no longer populated- pretty amazing they had found a way into the ceiling of the bathroom from the outside and had been living there, seemingly undetected. Bees these days… We had serious time constraints for the project: We took possession of the house in early October, and only had until December 28th to finish demolition, add the new deck, add hardwood floors throughout the house, completely remodel the kitchen and two bathrooms, add new plumbing and electric everywhere it was needed, add a new gas line to the kitchen, paint the whole place, and mold and pour new concrete counter tops. So we basically had two and a half months to completely gut and remodel the entire house. And we were doing it all with permits, of course, so we had to have every step inspected. Needless to say, from the day we took possession of the house we had work going on almost every minute until it was done. We decided to...